Tuesday, October 25, 2011

City of Oakland Clears overnight campsite at Frank Ogawa Plaza

In an action that started at 4:30 am this morning and involved 75 or more arrests and no injuries to officers or arrestees the Oakland Police Department with aid from at least 10 other law enforcement agencies cleared Frank Ogawa Plaza this morning.  The Plaza remains closed this morning as City staff clean up debris left behind in the Plaza.

City Administrator Deanna Santana, Interim Police Chief Howard Jordan and Interim Fire Chief Mark Hoffman held a press conference at City Hall at about 9:30 to explain the action.  Santana said notice had been given to protestors to leave the area after many problems developed over the last week.  The problems included medical response teams being denied access to the site when called; open flames and other fire hazards, graffiti, litter, vandalism, human waste and improper storage of food as well as a problem with rats.

Chief Jordan said officers were pelted with rocks, bottles and kitchen utensils.  He also said M1000 and M80 firecrackers were thrown at officers.  He said tear gas was used in response.  Jordan said most arrests were on misdemeanor charges although there were a few felonies and that arrestees come from all over the U.S.

When asked about Mayor Quan, Ms. Santana indicated she was in Washington, D.C. attempting to secure grant money for the Port.  Ms. Santana indicated she made the decision, in consultation with Police Chief Jordan and Fire Chief Hoffman to protect Public Health and Safety and clear the encampment.  Santana indicated the Plaza will be re-opened and that the lawful exercise or First Amendment rights will be permitted in the Plaza from 6 am to 10 pm.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At April 15, 2017 at 1:07 AM , Blogger Garima Pal said...

grt

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home